Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Knitting bits

For much of winter I knitted up some yarn my brother bought at an unclaimed post auction late last year. There were two huge boxes of yarn - more than I could ever use, so I chose three modest bags of what I thought most interesting. I've been trying to work my way through it. My new resolution is to use up yarn as far as possible as I buy it, rather than adding to the three drawers I have stashed. I succeeded in knitting up the wool I bought from North Ronaldsay, and some alpaca from Adagio - ands I've been trying to reduce this pile from my brother.

I tackled the easiest one first - a ball of Joy Rainbow tape designed to make a scarf. I adapted a pattern I found online for a scarf, and it knitted up quickly. 












The colours are attractive and the texture interesting. I narrowed the ends and created a loop on one end through which the other end slips.




It's a bit of fun - not really my style, but  someone might enjoy it for a while.












Next I tackled a
couple of balls of this rather attractive Sirdar Aura. These screamed 'hat' to me, so I tried out a couple of patterns, one for a beanie and one for a slouchy.

I rather like these, although I'm not sure it was a good idea to practice a new elastic cast-off on the slouchy. I think, however, some family members who like bushwalking will get good service from them.

















I then turned my attention to some silvery Rico which I knitted up into a triangular shawl.








Once blocked, I got Veronica to model it for me. I think it needs to be blocked again, and stretched out a bit further. The yarn is spectacular but I'm not convinced  it works on its own.



I still had three balls left, so I tried a bit of an experiment, matching it with some fine one-ply mohair and a pattern for a chevron shawl that alternates one-ply mohair with four-ply merino. This is taking me a long time to knit, but is coming along beautifully. I think I might save that one for its own post.
In the meantime,  I bought a bit more Adagio alpaca - because Adagio are needing a bit of support through the drought, and I also bought a kit for a scarf from Marie Wallin - because it was beautiful. I doubt I am half way through my brother's wool - so I'm afraid there is no rest for my needles regardless of the heat!

5 comments:

Lyn Warner said...

The light lacy pattern of the shawl is beautiful. It reminds me of a pretty Laura Ashley shawl that I have.

Chrissy Crow said...

Like you I am creating with THE auction yarn. For me there were 9 colours and all are becoming crocheted rugs which will be donated to charity at Stone the Crows Festival. One year you will have to come and tutor in the Crafty Crows Marquee! My crocheting is being done as Bob drives. Ask Jim where we are now - close to your holiday spot!

Jillian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jillian said...

Wow! Hope you are enjoying yourselves. I still have the knitted budgie pattern but haven’t actually tried it yet! I’m away again next Easter, but maybe 2021....
I’ve still got quite a few balls of grey wool to go from THE auction!

Jillian said...

Yes, it’s a nice pattern. I think another blocking process will help the lacy look.