Search This Blog

Friday, November 15, 2019

Linen tunic


Although I stopped making most of my own clothes in the 80s when work pressure left little time for sewing, I still get sucked in every now and then - usually when I get an email from Tessuti Fabrics with some natural and non-iron fabric that inspires me. This time it was their crinkle linen.

In September they had this in a range of colours. I chose the cherry one. I like linen to wear - but not to iron. It also takes much, much less water to produce than cotton.

The crinkle takes away the ironing problem (in my experience, even if I put in the effort to iron linen, it crushes as soon as I sit -especially if I drive).

I also like Tessuti patterns, which are simple to make and to wear, so I chose this one.
From the layout information online I figured I could get the length in the photo economically by cutting across the fabric but when I had the fabric in hand I realised this wouldn't work. The crinkle needed to run the length of the fabric.

Not to worry - I'm generally happier with a slightly shorter tunic anyway.
I also altered the pockets to make them side inserts rather than external. The fabric is a bit light for useful external pockets.

The hardest bit was cutting out. I added very generous seam allowances to make sure the garment was really loose. This is a summer, hot-Adelaide-days garment.

Cutting out took longer than sewing it together. In cutting it larger I forgot to leave the neckline untouched, so I have added strap holders at the shoulders.  I wouldn't want my underwear to show!

It's a comfy, happy summer garment!



2 comments:

eclectichomelife said...

I always find cutting out a bit scary, almost like a blank page or should I say in this age a blank computer screen! Think you made a great job of the tunic, suits you. I have not made clothes for many years and sometimes get the urge but alas not yet enough to make me do it.

Jillian said...

Yes, I feel the same. Thanks for the comment. This was very simple and straightforward. I’m not up for anything complicated these days!