Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Deerfield Class

Deb Richardson's Pouch 
In October I attended a one day class on Deerfield Embroidery, taken by Deb Richardson. I had done a very similar class with Deb two years ago . I had enjoyed the class and the embroidery style so much I was keen to repeat it.

Deerfield is, of course, a derivative of Crewel - with all the ensuing advantages.

This time, Deb supplied a kit, with the design (same as last time) already drawn on the fabric - enough to make this pouch. 



The fabric - 1200 thread-count sheeting, was lovely to work with. There were 20 of us in the class - large by Guild standards but no trouble at all for Deb who is a great teacher. She demonstrates to small groups and constantly circulates, helping and advising individuals. She teaches the students - not the content, focusing on where each student is up to and taking them forward.

There was a great atmosphere in the group, plenty of energy, enthusiasm and consideration.


This time I worked with the suggested stitches - a good variety. I love working like this. I had a range of stranded thread in shades of blue and just picked the shades as I went, working my way through the design. Because I was familiar with both the design and the style and because Deb is an accomplished, relaxed teacher, I could indulge my preference for finishing each element before moving on.

















Although we didn't get anywhere near finished in a one day class, I could continue at home and finished the stitching within a week.



It was hugely enjoyable.

Although I had been drawn to the class by the elegance of the constructed pouch, during the class Deb showed us a version created by one of her students, which squared off the design and added some quilting.

This got me thinking and mining my fabric stash for blue toned fabric. After trying 7-8 pieces, I unexpectedly settled on this predominantly black Japanese fabric with white bamboo leaves and the odd blue butterfly. It's a bit of a culture clash - but then,  it's bound to be an adaptation.

I put wadding between the two layers. The width of the fabric gave me enough to line the embroidery and put a narrow edge on the length - stitching by hand.


By hand-stitching around the bamboo leaves on the printed lining I could quilt the three layers together.
























It gave me effect I was after, however,  I decided the edging needed to be a similar width all around, so cut a bit more fabric to create a wider edge on the short sides.




I'm pretty happy with the result. It does not have the elegance of Deb's pouch, but it works in a rustic kind of way.

I'm not sure what use I will put it to - but then a bag lady can never have too many bags!



2 comments:

Lyn Warner said...

That sounds like a most enjoyable class. I like the bamboo fabric too.

Jillian said...

Thanks Lyn.Even though the fabric is black, it seems to work, doesn’t it? It was, indeed, a fun class.