Search This Blog

Saturday, November 21, 2015

Crochet progress

I've continued work on my crocheted flower cushion, finishing the 64 flowers. I spent a bit of time laying them out, rearranging, then joined them together. 
I wanted to crochet them together, rather than stitch it, to see if I could do it.  I put two squares together crocheting  through matching stitches on each, then moved on one stitch at a time, creating a chain along the join. This holds it firm.

I'm pleased with the result. 

I've now begun the back, which is worked in stripes using the same colour range. This will be a good project to do in the busy week ahead.

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Ethnic Embroideries Study Group

                            Last Wednesday was the monthly meeting of the Embroiderers' Guild Ethnic Embroidery Study Group. This month's meeting was a presentation by Janna Lock who spoke about her years in Pakistan and Afghanistan, the women she met and worked with and their embroidery. She brought with her lots of examples, which we could examine in detail.
There were beautiful fans, mostly made with two sticks so they rotate freely. You hold the longer, outside stick and swing the fan around it in a circle. Apparently young girls are happy to do this for older women!
Janna had a complete outfit - a voluminous dress with belt, modelled by Colleen, first with the headdress of a single girl,
and then with a married woman's headdress.
This veil was worn by a bride on her wedding day to cover her face from her betrothed, until the point in the ceremony when she is married and can reveal her face to her husband.                                                                                                                                                                                                          These sandals are made from old tyres. 
There were bodices, 
and a host of examples of cloths and bags.
as you can see, we had a good time and saw some lovely pieces of embroidery.
Paul Lock has written a book about their experiences,
while Janna continues to support a widow's group by selling their handiwork in Australia.

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Crochet progress

I have recently returned to work on my crocheted cushion squares. I am tailoring it a bit - reducing the size from a gigantic to a large cushion - 8 squares by 8 squares instead of 10 x 10. If it does not look big enough when I reach 64 squares I can add to it. I have laid it out to size and think it will work well. My granddaughters agree, so it must be OK.

I now know the pattern, so can work without checking. It doesn't mean I always get it right, but I can pick it up and put it down easily. It's a good project at the moment when I am sorting, packing and disposing of possessions in preparation for moving in a couple of weeks.

        I decided on a process of making the base squares in each of the colours before creating the flowers. This ensures I get a full range of colours in the bases. Of course, I did not count properly and ended up with four too many bases. Now I will have to think of something to do with the surplus squares...

I have completed 49 of the 64 squares. I'm very much looking forward to organising and connecting them together.