Search This Blog

Thursday, September 12, 2019

Australian Alpaca Shawl

I bought a kit of two-ply Australian alpaca from Australian Alpaca Yarn. Both the yarn and the pattern were lovely.


The pattern was knit from the top down, beginning with a cast on of over 300 stitches.


Knitting on each row stops 4 stitches short of the end of the previous row, but the unknitted stitches stay on the needle. Consequently the centre gets longer and the edges stay narrower.




Once you are only knitting the four centre stitches on the row, the lace edge pattern is taken up and knitted across the whole row.




I was, I admit, anxious to get on to the lace section. I found it difficult to maintain even stocking stitch with 2 ply wool and slightly  larger than usual needles (which, of course, contribute to the lace effect when blocked.)



To ensure I kept lace the pattern, I had an absurd number of stitch markers - but it kept my pattern.





I had the barest amount of yarn left at the end.













It did, however, block up rather well, and it is very soft.




I'm very pleased to have tackled this one. It is lovely, lovely yarn - and there is no end of interest in the various ways of shaping a triangular shawl.


2 comments:

Lyn Warner said...

Very interesting that the stitches are kept on the needle ready for the lace edging. The shawl looks beautiful.

Jillian said...

Thanks Lyn. I find the variety of ways of shaping shawls fascinating. There is a great book of samples - Exploring Shawl Shapes
27 Mini Shawls to Knit By: Elizabeth Lovick