Search This Blog

Friday, December 22, 2023

Last hat post for a while - I promise!

I didn't resist the temptation to turn Santas into trees.  I worked out the mathematics of the  repeat and just jumped in.  My first dilemma was where to switch the background from green to blue. I decided to keep the light green going a fair way up the trees, setting a horizon further away.

My second was the colour of the pompom.  I went for white, partly as a contrast and partly because the white yarn is acrylic and much fluffier than the other colours which are cotton. The cotton tends to droop.  I tried the smallest pompom maker, which I haven't used before. I had a near disaster when I accidentally cut through the tie thread by mistake. There were a lot of 2.5cm threads to retrieve and tie together! 
I discussed the dilemmas with my granddaughters, who were clear that the pompom should be white, but like me, were in two minds about the horizon, so I knitted another one to see how it looked.

While I think both are OK, I do think the second is better. I also increased the size of the trees on the second one


The second pompom is also white and slightly larger.  The photo doesn't reflect the colours accurately, but  you get the idea.

I could almost knit a hat blindfolded now, but I'm not planning to try. 

There are a few embroidery projects awaiting my attention.


No comments: