Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Buggiflooer Beanie 2

As you might have guessed from my last post, I am on a mission to use up the Smith and Jamieson wool I bought to make their colour way of the Shetland Wool Week Buggiflooer beanie. 

It took over a ball of the main colour to make their beanie which was a little on the large side. The russet colour wool was barely used so I began with that as my main colour in the new band. I also reduced the circumference of the band by about 3cm,  increasing to the recommended number above the band. I then chose colours from the remaining wool. The pale caramel was the obvious choice for the stripe and the dark blue provided a good contrast for the zigzag. As I didn’t want to buy more of the main colour, and I wasn’t convinced the band reduction had saved enough to keep within one ball, I worked the background of the middle section in the light caramel rather than russet.
I opted to keep the flowers in the creamy yellow, which left me a choice of mauve or light blue for the border to the flowers. I think I made the right choice, but wonder if it would not have been better to stick with the dark blue.

When I reached the crown, I reverted to the russet background.

This has been a really interesting exercise. The colours are totally different to the first one. yet they are using the exact same wools, just in very different proportions.

It still looks harmonious, indicating that it is a very well-chosen set of colours - and pattern.






I have enough wool left for one more beanie, and I can't wait to try it out. It might have to wait, however. A queue of Christmas projects has built up, and I don't think I can ignore them much longer!



No comments: