Search This Blog

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Bag therapy

As I was searching for some pieces of silk to use as lining for my pearl cases recently, I came across some of the sari scraps and Japanese kimono fabrics I did not realise I still had. I purchased these several years ago to make drawstring bags which I use to wrap presents rather than using paper. When I was working I would occasionally take a leave day to stitch the bags - my bag therapy.




Many of the fabrics came from Fabricana's Etsy Shop, and some from a variety of Japan shops. My store of bags for presents was nearly exhausted and I had checked Fabricana's shop a few times but she has been on a break for a couple of years. I was therefore excited to find that I still had a supply of fabric - and set out to use it up!






I try to work with the fabrics as they are, maximising the amount I can use. If they are sheer, as many sari fabrics are, I line them with an appropriate lining - I have a supply of satin linings purchased from a dressmaking friend who gave up her business to study.











Many of the Japanese kimono fabrics have been mended by hand. and I try to incorporate this work into the bag.

It is important, I think, to see the care and economy that went into these recycled fabrics and to maintain the tradition.


I also try to preserve the carefully folded seams and the running stitch used to keep them in place.













Once the bags are stitched, I find ribbon or cord for the drawstring, and buttons or odd earrings to attach to the ribbon ends so they don't disappear into the casing.






















It's a lot of fun finding the right ribbon and fixing.

It's a good way to use up buttons









or shells






























or earrings;


even ribbons from the Vergani Christmas Panetonne!




The bags vary from quite small,













to quite large and everything in between.


















I need a variety of sizes for a variety of presents.






Now the confession.

While checking out whether Fabricana was back in business, I came across RibbonsandSilk -  selling fat quarters from old saris from Byron Bay. To check them out, I bought three packs, which yielded 14 bags. my drive to recycle overrode my desire for economy! The pieces are more regular than Fabricana's were, and most had been nicely edged with an overlocker.


The tally? At last count it was 104 bags. This should get me through at least two or three years of gift giving. Think what I save on wrapping paper!

No comments: