Search This Blog

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Don't look now, but I think I am making a quilt

I got on to a bit of a roll with my hexagons. The pre-cut cards, the ease of cutting 2" fabric squares, the opportunity to use up so many of the scraps of previous projects (all saved, it seems, just for this occasion) has proved too much of a good thing. My swimming bag idea is rejected and my queen size bed quilt is now underway!

Am I a glutton for punishment? Probably.

Once I had eight "flowers" joined, I tried the piece on the bed, did some calculations, talked to Leanne at Hetty's Patch, bought a couple more metres of black fabric and got cutting.


I now have about 1300 2" squares of coloured fabric from my scrap basket, and a couple of hundred 2" black squares. I am recycling 300 paper hexagons.

I calculate I need about 1550 coloured 3/4 inch hexies and probably about 1800 black ones - depending on what I do around the edge.

Already, my family are recognising bits of their clothes in the section finished.

 
So far, I'm finding it soothing and easy to manage in the evenings or on the go. My only fear is that it will limit the other projects that I do - my urge to finish things is as high as ever - and I have quite a few things I want to make for Christmas.

I hasten to add I do not anticipate becoming a quilter. Even if I finish up quilting this (my intention at the moment), it is  the only quilt I am ever likely to make, and one quilt does not a quilter make!

5 comments:

margaret said...

so EPP has got you hooked too, best of luck with this mammoth challenge, love how you are using the black to tie it all together. At least you have already got lots of fabric cut out and papers too, that is the part that I dread!

Jillian said...

I'm afraid so, Margaret.Glad you like the black. Me too. It was the two inch squares that got me hooked - so much simpler to cut than hexagons. I'm hoping an investment in 3 packets of papers will get me through.

Monica said...

With the hexagons, I found that I was able to get 3 uses from each paper, so you may need one more packet. But...

Holy crow! Talk about scope creep! But it will be way better than just the gym bag. I love the black background, it's going to be splendid. Protest all you want, Jillian, I think you are hooked. :D

Jillian said...

Thanks Monica. Someone has suggested a stamp that creates paper hexagons. Might look in to it. We'll see if this projects satisfies my patching/quilting curiosity or fuels it!

Katherine said...

Its going to look fantastic. I have one ready to be quilted one day but it is more a lap quilt/bed topper than a big queen size quilt.