The Murano wool to replace the disaster basket arrived as I was heading off to Melbourne for 2 days, so I took it along with a large circular needle. I began the base of the large basket while awaiting my flight out of Adelaide.
I worked out the size and shape as I went along - casting on 25 stitches, increasing to 39, knitting straight for about 20 rows then decreasing at same rate as I had increased until I returned to 25 stitches, then picking up stitches all around the edge of the base.
I cast off the rim of the basket and knit the handle while watching TV the evening I returned home two days later - perfect timing.
It seemed huge when finished. I wondered if I had overestimated the size. I liked the way the stripes played out, however, with that rim of blue around the top. When I ordered the extra ball to do this project I ordered colour CK23. Although CK 27 is my favourite so far I couldn't resist trying another colour to see the effect.
I felted the bag the next morning, boiling it up first to get the heat,to cause the dye to run and blend a little, then adding the boiling water and the bag (in a pillowcase with a tennis ball) to the washing machine. I put it through the longest cycle twice.
This time, I am pleased with the result - and so are the egg-collectors!