Search This Blog

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Little Smocked Pirate

After my Kogin cushion I needed a quick and simple project as a bit of a transition to something more ambitious, so I used the piece of black cotton I had pleated at my pleating class last year to make the picture-smocked pirate from Australian Smocking and Embroidery 92( Treasure Trove by Kathleen Barak).
He is very perky and was fun to make.

The AS&E article has instructions for putting him on a open-necked top and yesterday I managed to find a suitable one at Cotton On Kids. I was in two minds as to whether to follow the instructions and cut a hole in the top, or just try to create and add a patch. In the past I have always avoided actually cutting a ready-made garment. It feels like vandalism.

In the end I took the plunge and cut.

Fortunately, it worked quite well. It was hard to stay perfectly straight, as the fabric has so much give in it, but it is also manipulable.

The end result looks quite good and seems strong and durable.

Thank goodness!

No comments: