The latter is very ambitious. I've wanted to make a chest of this kind since I first saw one at the Adelaide Craft Fair about four years ago. I decided that, because it is expensive and lengthy to make no matter how I do it, I might as well do it in a class and give myself the best chance of success. There were quite a few classes I would have liked to go to, but I took the plunge with Betsy.
Last week the pre-class kit arrived - a chart, threads and linen for the thimble keep component of the project, to be embroidered before the class so the class can focus on construction.
It proved an exercise in care and patience. Eventually I settled on working with two or three threads, then coming back and filling in the others.
It became easier once I got to the middle section that has a full row of cross-stitch with the same thread forming a base-line for the multi-thread rows either side.
Once I was in the swing of it, it became manageable and enjoyable.
Notwithstanding, I did a fair amount of unpicking to get it right. There are still two errors in the piece which I have, I hope, accommodated so they won't effect the making.
While the look of the back isn't on my priority list, I did pay it some attention in order to manage the threads without tangles.
It has been a good exercise to orient myself to the class. I have a feel for the threads and this form of counted thread work. When I don't work in this medium all the time I have to get my head right for it.
As a finishaholic, I am a little daunted by the time it is likely to take me to embroider and construct the whole project, but I'm going to think of it as a series of small pieces and perhaps allow myself some other projects in between .