Search This Blog

Friday, January 20, 2012

Girls' Tops

This Christmas I decided to make smocked tops, rather than dresses, for my granddaughters. This was really a choice amongst the kits in my stash chosen not so much for immediate wearability, but for what might be useful in a few months' time, since they have quite a stock of summer dresses.

I really liked Temily, in AS&E issue 80, and bought two kits, figuring I could reverse the thread colour to make 2 distinct versions for Veronica and Niamh. I could see them wearing it over jeans around the time they start school,  later in 2012.

The magazine version has an orange picture-smocked abstract flower, with purple around the centre, so I did one like that and one with purple and orange reversed.







There is a neat running stitch around the frill and seams. Unfortunately, in the Christmas rush, I didn't take photos of the finished garments. Once it is cool enough for the girls to wear them, I will rectify.


For Brigid I made Free Spirit, from AS&E 92. It has a smocked yoke and a little bit of smocking to bring in the three-quarter sleeves. I am happiest with designs, like this, that use smocking for functional, rather than merely decorative effect.


The colours and design of this top are very pleasing. I thought it might be more autumn than summer, but Brigid has worn it a lot since Christmas. She says it is comfortable and cool.









My quick iPhone snaps give her an impressionist portrait look!


3 comments:

Monica said...

Those are fantastic photos of Brigid! She looks like someone from another era!

I love the top you made her too. Lucky girl!

Anonymous said...

They all look wonderful! I agree that the top would be cool and comfortable. I have always found cotton fabric to be cooler than a T-shirt. Cant wait to see the twins wearing theirs.

Karyn said...

Brigid does look lovely in her top. I like smocking to be functional too, but really, I just like smoking in any form.
Temily is a lovely pattern, I hope the girls like them.