Search This Blog

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Amazing Birthday Present

Today is my birthday and I wanted to share a present that I received from my just-about-lifelong friend, Vivienne. We met at primary school when we were 10. We were in the same class for 2 years then went to High School together for a few months until Vivienne's father's job took her family many miles away.

We wrote to each other regularly thoughout high school, then met up again at university, kept in touch by letter when first teachiing, then marriage and children moved us to different parts of the country. In the last decade our correspondence has shifted to electronic communication. It is a great thing to have a friendship as long as this - longer than a long marriage and older than adult children. 

Vivienne is a knitter and knitted me an amazing scarf for my birthday today. It immediately put me in mind of Jenny Joseph's poem, Warning: When I am an Old Woman I shall wear Purple - as indeed Vivienne had intended.

 I couldn't figure out how the scarf was made.Fortunately, Vivienne had anticipated this and taken some photos. 


It is magic - knitted with one ball of acrylic yarn like thick mesh ribbon .Vivienne used Katia, a Spanish brand.
The frilled effect is achieved with seven stitches on number 7 needles, knitting into the top of the yarn, teasing out the yarn as you go to make the ruffles.  


I can't wait to try this yarn myself.


In the meantime, however, I have a beautiful ruffled, decorative scarf that I wore to lunch today with Jim and Adelaide friends of 39 years standing.


It is wonderful to have reached this age, to have friends and family who share my journey with its experiences, joys and sorrows - and to be in touch with so many others who share my interests.


I feel very blessed. I am also on the look-out for a red hat.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is indead a very special friendship! Beautiful scarf too.

Anonymous said...

Forgot to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY and I hope you had a wonderful day yesterday.

Jillian Mary said...

It looks wonderful I'll look out for that yarn.
Good luck with the red hat. At least you live in a capital city, finding hats, except sunhats and a few near Melbourne cup time, is very hard in Nowra

Karyn said...

Happy birthday to you!!
Isn't that scarf wool wonderful?? it is so soft, so quick to knit and just looks fabulous. Enjoy!!

yogi bear said...

A lovely present. When you find your red hat, I hope we will see.
x

Jillian said...

Found my hat in Adelaide Central Market this morning! Photo soon!