Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Cabled Beanies

 When, in the middle of my push to finish the healing blanket, I came across a free Cleckheaton pattern for a cabled beanie in a 10 ply yarn, I quickly downloaded the pattern, promising myself the treat of a quick and easy knit when the blanket was finished. The recommended yarn, Cleckheaton Verve, is not easy to find in Adelaide,  but I found a supplier, and chose the required 2 balls in a blue/green colourway.

I liked the orange very much, but they only had one ball. Of course, I bought that as well.

Cleckheaton is a very old and revered Australian company, now part of the Australian Yarn Company stable. They were big n the 1950s, even entering in national Dress of the Year Awards. Just over 10 years ago, a friend, now deceased, donated to the National Museum of Victoria, a dress that his mother had designed and made for Cleckheaton as their entry into the competition. 

It took about 7 hours of knitting to complete the blue beanie. After recent longer and more complex projects this gave me an instant lift. After one round of 4 rows the pattern was easy to remember, the yarn is pleasant to hold and its fun to see the colours emerge. 

The first ball of yarn ran out with 6 rows to go.  That left a lot of yarn. Even with a large and generous pompom I have about half a ball left. The hat is also a generous size.

In the light of this, I decided (of course) to have a go at also knitting the orange ball in the pattern.





I reduced the band by one row and calculated if I reduced the body by one cable (four rows) I should have enough (assuming the length of yarn on the ball was standard). 









This worked a treat. The resulting size fits me comfortably, so will fit others.



There was, however, very little yarn left (about 50cm) for a bobble. I found some oddments of wool in similar colours, but rejected the bobble that resulted, settling, in the end, to a tiny pompom from the left over length. 

I find it a joy to look at. 

This, and the last two major projects, have been knitted on the Lantern Moon ebony needles I bought following my birthday purchase from The Crafty Frog. I am now addicted to them and don't want to use anything but. 

When I got down to the last rounds of the crown I used a Chiaogoo Mini, awkward to hold, but no more so than any other method.  







It's been fun working on 
these in a quick burst. I have no recipient in mind, but what's not to like?

No comments: