Search This Blog

Friday, September 20, 2024

2024 Shetland Wool Week Hat


While I was on a hat roll, I thought I would tackle the Uradale version of this years Shetland Wool Week hat, the Islesburgh Toorie, for which I had foolishly bought the kit. There are 5 colours in the pattern and in the Uradale version these are all natural, undyed wool. All five colours are represented in the band, shown here. 





Making sure I had the right one was a bit of a challenge, so I made myself a colour chart to keep handy and check against.


The pattern is set in three sizes, achieved by varying the needle size. I made the medium size, using 2.75mm needles. My favourite ebony needles don't come below 3mm, so I had to retreat to bamboo. With a 40cm connector, it worked fairly well. The very sharp bamboo does tend to split the wool if you are not careful. 
After the band of rams heads, I optimistically misread the pattern, and began the crown. After 4 rows I realised the error, undid it and worked the missing chart.

I continued using the same circular needle to the end of the crown. It's awkward, but no more, in my view, so than other methods . 




For the last couple of hats I used short needles and a short connector to finish the crown, but I find it more comfortable and flexible to move the shortening rows along a longer connector and on to the 4" needles.











I'm not entirely convinced the subtle changes in the paler colours make a difference. 








While it does draw attention to the eyes of the sheep,  I'd like to see the starker contrast of the whitest wool throughout the whole hat.  I could make it again to try that out. The kit supplied 4x25gm balls and one 50gm. 30gm of the latter remain and 19gm, 23gm & 22gm x2 of the rest. I wish it wasn't so - I do feel the pressure to use it. 

I don't think I will make it again. I have found another pattern I think might work and be interesting to knit. I have no recipients in mind for these, but do it for the satisfaction of making them. 

If you know of a sheep farmer who would like this one, please let me know!

No comments: