Search This Blog

Monday, March 11, 2024

Cockatoo Bag

I recently bought a kit for a Cockatoo Tote Bag from The Fox Collection. When I finished the Bee Cushion I thought I'd go straight on with the Cockatoo Bag and, as usual, rushed right in. Unfortunately, I made quite a big mistake. I mistook needle-felting for punch-needle, dug out the wrong tools and began needle-felting the cockatoo.  

The cockatoo outline is printed on the inside of the bag, while the flowers are printed on the outside. Both needle-felting and punch-needle are worked from the underside.

It was not until I had the head and shoulders felted that I realised what I had done, by which time it was too late to go back, and too difficult to undo. 

I could embroider over the felted mess on the right side, but could not disguise the contrast between the felted background on the upper body and the lower section without felting. The only way I could see forward was to continue to put a layer of needle-felting on the whole cockatoo, then embroider over it.

The felted result looked more like a crested alpaca than a cockatoo.









Eventually, however, I had something resembling a cockatoo, using a mixture of feather stitch, straight stitch and open chain.

Fortunately, and somewhat surprisingly, the flowers proved to be both more straightforward and more pleasurable. They were primarily worked in satin and long and short stitch. The stranded cotton provided was smooth with a good sheen, very easy to work with.  











The colour combinations differed in each of the three flowers. I was nervous about the length of the straight stitches in the outer flower borders and early on I added some couching.

As I progressed I got a bit more trusting, and did less couching - a decision I now regret. Some of the white guide lines are visible under the edge of the flower on which the cockatoo is standing. They didn't wash out completely before blocking.    

The thread provided was not only good quality, but generous in amount. I have easily enough left to make the whole thing again, probably twice over.                                                              
Although I was pleased with the result when it came off the hoop, I rinsed it gently and blocked it, hoping the print lines would dissolve. It didn't disappear, but it did fade. 

With an outside temperature of 38C, and 26C inside, it took 12 hours to dry.

Although there were no construction instructions, I decided if the bag was to be used, it needed lining. The back of the embroidery was likely to be caught or rubbed on any contents and needed protecting.

I selected a wavy navy cotton stripe, cutting it to the exact size of the bag. 


The fabric was large enough for me to create a gusset along the sides and the base, keeping the face of the bag the size illustrated on the kit package while maximising the internal size.



I'm delighted with the result and have added it to my slowly growing pile of gift  totes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good recovery, looks very stylish.😊