Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 5, 2024

April Certificate Course Glazig Workshop

Last week I realised I needed to get organised for my April Certificate Course Workshop on Glazig Embroidery. The notice, with information about student requirements, needs to go into the Guild's March newsletter. 

While I have books, a finished bag, a project in progress, along with a PowerPoint  already prepared from WES Group last year, I needed to prepare student notes, plan a student project and make sure the resources are accessible. This wasn’t a straightforward task, given the specific and contemporary nature of the topic. 

I can’t invent a design of my own, and I can’t breach copyright, so am working in narrow parameters. 

I settled on two small motifs available in the book 25 Years of Glazig Embroidery. Use for study purposes should be OK. Motifs are small, simple and have stitch charts. I have 5 books of official designs and students can use any of them. 

I cut squares of linen, discovered my iron-on transfer pen was defunct,  so decided I could use (some very old) dressmaker's carbon to transfer the designs to the squares. This enabled me, in between a  hairdressing appointment,  shopping  for  family dinner and weekend house guests,  to write the notes and newsletter notice. I emailed the notice to the Guild and the notes to Officeworks for printing.

After transferring about 5 motifs to linen using the carbon, I found time for a trip  to Spotlight  between picking up the printing and taking a granddaughter to JEMS on Saturday, to buy a new transfer pen.  It is medium thickness, and worked well.

The Au ver a Soie Perlee thread used in Glazig embroidery is so hard to get in Adelaide it is unreasonable to expect students to obtain it for the workshop. I have a supply I have acquired since diving down this rabbit hole, some of it from stock clearance sales. I figured I could cut some lengths of this to add to small kits.   

I used a punch to cut cardboard circles into which I punched 7 small holes, then cut lengths of 7 different coloured silk perlee threads and attached to the cards. If students need more thread they can cut a length in class from the remaining reels.

I now have 15 kits prepared, another 5 linens printed, 5 more sets of instructions and some spare cards, so I can quickly create additional kits if required, or support students who don't want kits. 

The notice has gone to the newsletter. I've amended the PowerPoint but will check it again before creating a USB closer to the workshop.

Phew! Panic averted!

                     

No comments: