Search This Blog

Sunday, January 21, 2024

Remakery

Last week I undertook a really interesting remaking project for a family member. It began with a treasured skirt. I didn’t take a photo of it, but it was short, A-line and gored, in a sturdy  Japanese print fabric, probably a cotton-silk blend. This is half the front, the other half a mirror image, including pocket.

I undid the side seams, and the front seam, leaving each of the two gores with the pocket intact, and undid the back seam. By turning upside down the two back panels and joining one to each pocket panel, I made two rectangles, which I could join together and shape into a tote. There was enough length to create a base; in fact, rather too much, so I stitched a tuck or two, which added to the strength of the base.

I found a Japanese cotton print for lining and cut it to fit using the crude method of cutting around the finished shape with allowances for hems. 
                              

The result is a sturdy bag, with a useful pocket on each side.                 

I hope it has a good home and plenty of use.    

4 comments:

Lyn Warner said...

Yes, a very interesting idea to reuse special fabric. Well done!

Jillian said...

Many thanks, Lyn.

Sue Mann said...

Great reuse of a beautiful fabric

Jillian said...

Many thanks Sue.