Search This Blog

Thursday, January 25, 2024

Green Prayer Shawl

 

I began this between Christmas and New Year, as a prayer shawl for a friend whose Christmas communication said she was due to have a major operation early in January. I like making prayer shawls, a way of thinking about health, healing and friendship and wrapping someone symbolically in care.  I was not far into this one, , using a 200gm ball of 8ply I had in my stash, when I had doubts about its appropriateness. I doubted my friend would like the colour, or would ever use a shawl, especially at this time of year where she lives. I continued knitting it. I’ve done this before with a prayer shawl, and just as I finished it, the right person turned up, loved it and used it on her healing journey. Trust the process.


It took about 4 weeks to knit, in between other projects. It has an 8 line pattern and after about 10 pattern repeats I could manage without the pattern - an ideal situation for a prayer shawl, freeing my mind to think about friendship and healing. 

I began using my favourite bamboo circular needles, knitting back and forth. Part of the way through I acquired some ebony needles as part of a Christmas gift. They are fabulous, so lovely to hold. I've ordered 2 sets and never want to use anything else!
I kept going until I reached the recommended length of 152cm and the end of a pattern. 

Unfortunately, the wool ran out 7 stitches before the end! (I marked the wool end with a circle). Fortunately I had another ball and could join the extra 15cm needed to finish!

It looked like this around my neck before blocking, about 24cmx152cm.   






The next day I blocked it, using blocking tiles and pin blocks, supplemented by blocking pins, laid out diagonally across my dining table. It blocked to 44cmx200cm.
Now, over the same dress, it looks like this.


It looks great, drapes nicely and can be worn various ways. Yes, there were a couple of ends to be woven in after I took the photo to the left. It's an easy pattern, once you get the hang of it and could be worked in a range of yarns and thicknesses.  

Sooner or later someone will claim it.  In the meantime, I have embroidery projects, and two Rowan knitting kits, awaiting my attention!

No comments: