Search This Blog

Sunday, December 25, 2022

A Mad Hatter touch to Christmas.


This year I tried my hand at the Shetland Wool Week Hat - The Bonnie Isle Hat by Linda Shearer. Each year, for Shetland Wool Week, there is a competition to design a knitted hat. The pattern for the winning entry is made available free, and woollen mills produce their own colourway for the design, which they offer as a kit. Photos of the many versions of the hat knitted around the world, are posted to the Shetland Wool Week site.

This is the first time I've tried it. I intended to use it with the left-over wool from several Marie Wallin projects but thought I'd try it first of all in 4ply cotton - of which I have rather a lot. 
The first one knitted so well I decided to keep going. The pattern came in 3 sizes (achieved by changing needle size, not the pattern). I knitted one of each and tried them on various family members. The middle size fitted everyone.

This was back in August. I got the idea to make enough for everyone at Christmas lunch. Last year I made reusable Christmas crackers. Rather than create more waste paper making hats for the crackers, I thought people could choose a knitted hat. They won't fit in the crackers - but people could choose.
I had the initial 3, and 10 different coloured 4ply cottons, most of them pale. I added in a cone of bright orange in a silk/cotton mix and began mixing and matching. I needed at least 8 for Christmas Day. 

I put it aside to knit a couple of vests, returning for  a marathon in early December.

Although the pattern had pompoms, I wasn't sure about them so I consulted Veronica, my fashion oracle, who thought no.  I agreed and proceeded, although others shook their heads and said 'pompoms'. 
However, on Christmas Eve I capitulated and decided to add pompoms. At this point, Veronica, in the Christmas vibe, also said yes. I got out my pompom maker and set to work. I've used it before, but not for a long time. 

I wasn't thrilled with my efforts, and reverted to a technologically cruder method. They still weren't plump, rounded pompoms, but the floppiness had a kind of charm (guests agreed). I think I need pompom practice!
In case there were pompom objectors I attached the pompoms on the inside with safety pins. No-one objected.

I finished the 9th on Christmas Eve, and the pompoms just after midnight. 

It turned out to be the right number, and, somewhat to my surprise, they were a hit.


Each one has five colours. I varied the pattern very slightly in a couple of places, but not by much.
A number of people wore theirs all afternoon - and I must say, they looked really good. It was a hot day, but cool inside. The cotton is comfortable to wear and shapes softly. 


I'm not promising to repeat the exercise every year, but it was a fun exercise for me, used up yarn, looked good, and gave pleasure. 

That's a happy result - and I wouldn't rule out repeating or extending it.

Successful family events don't just happen. Immense planning and effort by my daughter's family went into hosting the highly successful lunch. I'm glad I could contribute in a small way. 

If the Christmas hat fits, wear it!   
Much Joy at Christmas.

2 comments:

Lyn Warner said...

The hats are lovely and such a fun and useful gift! I like the colours too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lyn. Glad you like the colours. I thought they might be too pale, but I think the addition of orange helped. Amazing number of combinations!