Search This Blog

Friday, March 25, 2022

Mosaic Bag - as it was intended

I now have two bags from the Marie Wallin Mosaic Carpet Bag kit! After knitting one without understanding the principle of mosaic knitting (and creating a very useful if non-mosaic bag!) I have now finished the bag as intended. I had to rob a hand-warmer kit of a bit of wool in about three colours, but otherwise there was enough in the Mosaic kit for two bags.

It does look quite different - more compact as well as the texture difference. Here (left) is my progress on the base of the first Mosaic side against the base of the other bag.

Once I had the hang of it, the Mosaic technique was faster to knit - and very satisfying.

It still finished up a decent size and I decided , again, that it needed handles. I had a pair of circular bamboo handles that I decided to try.  I could have left much less of the handle above the bag, but it is sometimes handy to slip it over my shoulder. I'll see how they go and change - or remove - if they don't work.

They do tuck inside out of the way when not in use, so I'm hopeful they might work. I used a remnant of Ink and Spindle linen as lining.
The closure is a gumnut button gift from Tasmania that has been just waiting for this project.












Here are the two bags hanging together, showing something of the difference in overall size and the tightening of the pattern in the Mosaic style. There are about the same number of rows in both bags!

No comments: