Search This Blog

Monday, October 17, 2022

Andrea Mowry's Nightshift as Prayer Shawl

Nearly twenty years ago I came across the Prayer Shawl Ministry which describes itself as a program of applied Feminist Spirituality.  I like the concept - and have used it numerous times since. While I have most of the knitted Prayer Shawl books, any pattern can be used.  

For the past few weeks I've been working on a third Nightshift shawl using Noro Ito wool. I made two for my daughters last year and had the wool for a third for myself, but other things had higher priorities. When a friend in Sydney became very ill this year, I decided to make her a prayer shawl - and Nightshift was perfect. Using the Noro yarn simplifies the pattern - and adds to the effect.






It's also a joy to knit. The meditation of knitting for healing works both ways.

It's a simple pattern in the mosaic style, using two balls of yarn - two rows from one, two rows from the other.

I prefer knitting shawls from the long side, decreasing with progress.


This one works the other way - so rows take longer as you progress and it takes longer to see that progress. I just kept going until I judged I had only enough yarn left for the cast-off.

I blocked it on the carpet, using blocking wires to keep the edges straight.
It blocked really well and came out large, soft and flexible.









It has reached its destination and is bringing pleasure and warmth to Robin as she recovers in the last of our cool weather.

It brought me pleasure and warmth too.

No comments: