Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Russian Goldwork Pouch


Last Saturday was an Embroiderers' Guild Certificate Course Workshop taken by Jackie Denniston on Russian Goldwork. Jackie had done quite a bit of research and a lot of preparation for what was a really engaging and fun workshop. I won't share her work, but I can, I think, without compromise give some idea of my experience. 

Jackie had prepared kits we could purchase and I had a choice of cream silk with edges neatened or blue silk not edged. The cream was ready to distribute so I went with it. Most others went with blue.   
                                                          
The method of transferring the design was by dressmaker's carbon. I managed to dig out a packet I reckon I bought in the 1960s. It must have been after 14th February 1966 as the price is in decimal currency!

The instructions were very clear and Jackie was on hand to help. We used a range of metal threads as well as pearl beads. It was slow and meticulous work. 
I didn't get it finished in class, but it only took me an evening to finish at home. This is as it came out of my hoop, a bit crushed and with a few marks remaining from the carbon.
It's a pity I didn't make sure I aligned the silk and the calico backing before putting it in my hoop. The mis-alignment meant I had to trim and manipulate in order to construct something from the result. Nevertheless I proceeded with my plan to make a jewellery pouch.

I didn't have a gold zip, but after a bit of consideration and trial I decided a fawn one I had would work quite well. I folded the piece so the zip was in the centre back and machined the ends.

The lining is from a piece of gold silk in my stash. I dug it out this morning and finished it off.










I'm very pleased with the result. I have worked most of the techniques and threads before, but it's not an area at which I am very competent. I'm really pleased to have a chance to practice and learn more.

Plus I now have another pouch for pearls or other jewellery to either use myself or give to someone else who would use it. 

Wins all around. 

Thanks Jackie.

No comments: