Search This Blog

Sunday, April 10, 2022

My Crewel Work Chair is Finished!

 The Aesop frame is in the crewel chair, which is now finished.

I wasn't looking forward to attaching the Aesop panel as it involved removing the cover from the chair, stitching the panel on and replacing the cover. It's a tight fit, with no zip. It proved, however, easier than I had feared.









I finished the text  using Quaker stitch and blocked the piece for a second time. I was pleased with the text but it blocked a little spiky, I probably could have used a larger font, but it is quite readable.

My faithful little Janome sewing machine was probably not designed for stitching of this weight and shape, but rose to the occasion. The space left on the chair was exactly the size of the Aesop panel, so I folded the linen right to the border of the frame and stitched in the ditch.

I must have improved each time I've removed and returned the cover as it seemed to go on in record time (not easily, but easier). 

The following are photos from various angles to show the final result. 





The chair was originally in my sewing room but I moved it a couple of months ago into my living room where it can be viewed from all sides.


The back view.

There are 21 Crewel Work Company works on the chair (counting the Feathers as one work, although they are distributed separately around the chair), 


some large, 







some small.
I considered adding small pieces to those narrow front panels, but decided it would be overkill.  I like the contrast of the plain linen.





View from the top.







It isn't a large chair.  The one I worked years ago to accommodate Alison Snepp's Men of Skiros is larger and more supportive for longer sitting.





It is nevertheless comfortable and useful. I'm pleased to have done it. It has been a satisfying project to work on - and will remain a tribute to the beautiful historic works produced by Phillipa Turnbull and the Crewel Work Company.

And yes, of course it is for sitting in - it's crewel work after all!

5 comments:

Lyn Warner said...

Congratulations on finishing your chair! It's amazing.

Jillian said...

Many thanks Lyn!

Unknown said...

I'd love to use this as a complete article for the next Review..

zetor said...

That is wonderful, well done!

Jillian said...

Many thanks!