Search This Blog

Thursday, October 10, 2019

Basics to Beyond - Project 5 finished.

I have been working on Project 5, the last for the Guild's Basics to Beyond (B2B) course, since July 2017. I posted my last update on Project 5 in January of this year, which is when I finished the stitches on the sampler.

Progress has been slow.  B2B is about doing things properly - with an emphasis on construction. Doing things properly is not my forte - and what I am trying to learn from B2B.

By our August B2B meeting I had not only managed to complete the hemstitched edge of the sampler, but to iron it more or less crinkle-free.




I then, under supervision, added the flannel inter-lining and finally the silk lining necessary to turn the sampler into a pouch.


The corners of the sampler are, of course, carefully mitred.






I had chosen some dusty pink silk to line the pouch, silk, of course, for polishing the pearls that might end up housed here.
At home, after the August meeting, I added the lining,  folded the sides and ladder-stiched them together to form the pouch.





I found a button I had made at a Guild workshop by covering a ring and a bead, with stitching.

I also made a buttonhole loop, careful to ensure all the knots face the same way.


I  listed all my  sources  on the assessment form.


At the September B2B workshop Gay signed the form and I submitted the piece for assessment. This week I collected it.

Success! I have completed the course.

Now, of course, I am faced with the 'Beyond' bit of the class. Do I stay on and do my own thing?

Gay has designed a repeat course focusing on counted thread work -  a course variation which she is still in the process of documenting. I’m tempted but it will put her under pressure to complete the documentation. It's a great group and I want to continue.

I have another idea based on a project I’ve been working on to document some local family collections. More soon!

No comments: