Search This Blog

Friday, December 7, 2018

More Estense


In August I did another Estense class with Christine Bishop at the Embroiderers' Guild. I had enjoyed the Certificate Course workshop so much, and gained so much from it, that I wanted more.







We met over a Saturday and Sunday, about ten of us, all engaged and eager.

The project was a pin-cushion, with an option for enlarging it to a cushion.

It is in the lovely, rich colours of the tiles of the Ferrara region of Italy.





We made good progress in class, and I went home and worked on in the evenings. It is mesmerising and the combination of counted and drawn thread work very engaging.














I decided against a pincushion and in favour of another jewellery pouch.

I blocked it first








then folded the linen to form a pocket, lined it in silk and inserted a zip.


I have a string of pearls with a chunk of coral on the end.  The silk lining will keep pearls' lustre and the red centre of the pouch will remind me of the coral - helping me to remember what is stored inside.











A lot of fun, some learning, convivial company and a useful and beautiful item.






No comments: