Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Dijanne Cevaal Figure 3: First Dragon


I have found the Dijanne Cevaal panels so addictive I moved straight on from the King to the dragon - and didn't pause to take photos until I was quite advanced. I began with those scales on the back of the neck - worked in some of the SA Embroiderers' Guild over-dyed stranded thread.

I was really excited by the red-gold thread from the Guild's last batch and bought rather a lot of it, using a red-dominant with an open chain stitch for the neck and a gold-dominant in Bokhara stitch for the wings.        
                                                         










The chest uses a lighter one in a combination of stem and buttonhole stitch.
Some of the Madiera sparkly synthetic from the King's beard came in handy for the horn, teeth and claws.












I separated the sections of the wings with a couched gold laying thread and used a black/gold Au Papillon metallic on the legs and feet.
The shape of the two plants cried out, I thought, for needle-lace. I haven't worked this in a metallic before but found it worked up really well in green Kreinik metallic with stems in a slightly heavier DMC Diamante.

In the  two earlier panels I worked I largely ignored the screen printed markings on the background. With this one, I decided to work the markings in a variety of blues to give an impression of sky. I used a variety of threads, solid and variegated, silk, cotton and metallic. The tail was worked in red - with solid outline and seed stitch fill.
I liked the effect of the seed stitch so much I decided to use it for the background in place of running stitch.


I am pleased with the effect. I used one or two strands of stranded cotton, then added in some more between these using a metallic - mostly Madiera No 40.
The result is very rich and dense. 
Now to turn this into another cushion!


2 comments:

margaret said...

rich is an excellent word to describe your beautiful stitching some wonderful threads you have there.

Monica said...

Yes, rich and dense is right, as Margaret says. And gorgeous! It will be wonderful to have all that tactile stitching on a pillow, instead of out of reach somewhere. I bet it will be a favourite with visitors!