I also tried out a few Kantha stitches - such as the laced running stitch in the Fig.1 jerkin and in the yellow leggings, the 'marching ants' in the blue trousers and the blue top of Figure 2.
The greatest challenge is hair - getting variety as well as texture and colour. Bullion knots and French knots proved very useful.
One disadvantage of using the black and white print fabric is that I get only white faces and need to find other ways of showing complexion and ethnicity. The medium is not subtle enough to shade skin tone.
I tried to include a few headscarves but found it unexpectedly more difficult to get the effect I wanted than I expected. At least one of my attempts ended up looking more like hair than a headscarf!
I incorporated quite a few Kantha stitches.
The best coverage came from rows of stem stitch. I managed also to use some gold thread.
Variegated thread worked a treat. One of my grand-daughters had given me some amazing hanks for Christmas which I incorporated.
It was quite easy to vary the embroidery of the four repeated shapes to get quite a variety of figures and shapes.
My Julia Gillard pieces gave more scope for incorporating different stances and activities, but this allowed for a surprising variety in a different way.
Here are the two sides - 70 figures - finished. The un-embroidered lower rows allow for the bottom of the bag.
My next post, hopefully while recovering from my knee reconstruction tomorrow, will show construction and finish!