It pleated beautifully and was easier to stitch than the chambray - but may not wash and wear as well.
I used the same smocking design, but went for three blending colours rather than contrasting. I was tempted to go for completely subtle but included the pale pink in the end in deference to 5 year-old taste.
The frill was much easier to manage with the thinner cotton, giving a nice edge. I still needed to check I hadn't missed the edge anywhere and I did two rows of stitching to be sure.
I finished off the front with the tie made of the three smocking threads but used a couple of dragonfly buttons in place of the gold beads.
It's always a bit tricky, trying to get the right dress for the right child. I'm hoping these two dresses are sufficiently attractive in their own right to make both girls happy.