Search This Blog

Monday, October 21, 2024

Chaffinch kit from The Bluebird Company via Create in Stitch.

I had vowed not to buy another kit, but when Create in Stitch advertised this one in their 5 October newsletter I fell in love.  It was so beautiful. I could also see immediately what I would do with it.

I bought one. In order to keep my promise not to add to my stash, I began work on it as soon as I finished the Swedish hand towel.

The instructions were clear and precise, with good illustrations.  Although they suggested working the background first, I only did enough to see how it worked and moved on to the bird.



It was really interesting to stitch - a good variety of stitches, and never enough repetition to be boring.

The colours are so harmonious and calming. After the bird I returned to the background - fine for doing in front of television!

As I got towards the end, I had a class at the Guild, so went on a hunt on the trading table for a bamboo hoop I could use to frame and hang it, without using one of my working hoops. I found one, came home and finished off the stitching. 

This morning, before breakfast, I mounted the finished item in the trading table hoop. It took a bit of manipulating and tugging to get it tight enough. 




I then found another Guild treasure, a piece of cloth dyed by Guild members for an exhibition challenge a couple of years ago. It was the best colour blend in my stash for backing the hoop frame.








It was a little tricky stitching the backing on, but a lot of pins helped.

It is now hanging on my front door, along with the two other pieces that have been there for a year or two. My neighbours are supportive.

It's been an uplifting project to work on - some challenges, but calming and joyful. I recommend it - for learning, for stitching satisfaction and joy.

I have not provided detailed photos of my work on this one in order to preserve copyright.  My photos show no more than the promotional photos of the kit show. 

When I published this blog post, Create in Stitch still had the kit in stock. I'm sure it's available from other retailers, as well as the Bluebird Company itself.


No comments: