Search This Blog

Monday, June 3, 2024

Another Flannel Flower Bag

I am very attracted to this Spice colour way of Ink and Spindle's Flannel Flower fabric. While I like the Fennel and Saltbush colour way, which is closer the natural colour of the flower, there is something robust and eye-catching about Spice.

In the first bag I made in this fabric, I added centres in pinks, an echo of Actinotus forsythii, the lesser known pink flannel flower. 

This time I tried using colours that evoke the green/yellow of the more common Actinotus helianthiI used two shades of green in perle 5 and a variegated green/yellow stranded cotton, placing a swirl of dark green first, then some of the variegated thread before filling in the remainder with the green that is closest to the impression I get when looking at the actual flower.

I was pleased with this result, and went for something similar, but gentler, on the other side of the bag. Flannel flowers do have variations in the colour of the centres, and I wanted to capture that.

Once again, I only embroidered one centre on each side. The fabric itself is too beautiful to colour in. 
I made the bag up using Ink and Spindle's  plain Spice linen as lining, sides and straps. 

I think the colour way works well on this fabric. I have enough for two more bags and I may go on experimenting with it, before turning my attention to the Fennel and Saltbush fabric - or I may make a switch.

Am I on a roll, or ready for a change?  Actually, my focus is on my knitting but I keep being distracted!




No comments: