Search This Blog

Monday, March 6, 2023

Banksia Cushion 2


As I indicated last time, I decided to work my last Dijanne Cevaal print into a cushion for myself. I had another fabric from Missy Rose that I had bought with this in mind. I had to source another 60cm cushion, which took a bit of searching. Those that were easily available were mostly feather, which I didn't want. I've decided I prefer firmer filling. Eventually I found what I was after at Adairs.


I had chosen a range of threads - mostly DMC Etoile, plus some variegated stranded specialty threads, a bit of linen and some gimp. The Etoile really came into its own. Photos unfortunately don't show the glints and glimmers that are there in reality. I began with the Banksia itself - a different variety to the last one but still a pleasure to work.

The first cone I worked in a pinky-red variegated cotton, using black Etoile in the centres. The pink is a bit of a cheat, since cones don't usually retain much of their red colour. Artistic licence.

The other one I worked in more realistic colour, surrounding it with dark green slightly glittery leaves. 

I really enjoy working with gimp, and used three different ones on stems.

I am particularly pleased with the black I used on the brown cone.



For variation I used olive greens on the right hand leaves - older and drier.

Finally, I quilted the background down with reddish linen thread, to  blend with the background, and found some black braid to frame the embroidery.

Colourwise it is bolder than my other cushions.     


Needless to say, I'm delighted.          
        

3 comments:

Lyn Warner said...

The banksia's are lovely. I rather like the pink one.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lyn!

Jillian Dellit said...

Thanks Lyn!