Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Rococo Pouch, scissor fob and, well, name tag!

This is the scissor fob I made in the recent class with  Christine Bishop at the Guild. It is part of a set - pouch, pincushion and fob. The stitches and basic design are the same for all pieces, so we could learn on the smallest piece.

It was a good exercise. I made simple mistakes on my initial rococo stitch (all in orientation) but had the hang of it by the time I'd worked the fob. 

Just as well, because there was a lot of rococo stitch!

I decided to vary the set a little. Originally, I intended to use the pouch to store jewellery, but changed my mind along the way. I added a few pins to the sides of the fob, to free up the pincushion for another purpose.

My granddaughter Niamh keeps me supplied with pincushions to prevent me using the arm of a lounge chair - so I didn't want to make another for myself.

I have a long saga of Guild name tags. Three of them are in safe places where I put them while travelling overseas in 2017, 2018 and 2019. I kept them pinned to the lining of my handbag, which I emptied before travelling. Each time I returned, I couldn't find the name tag and finally bought another. Twice the inevitable happened and the old ones turned up. The last time that didn't happen AND the pin on the new one was only attached by double sided tape and fell off. When superglue failed I abandoned it and haven't ordered another. 


As I didn't need a pincushion I formed the idea of making a name tag, bored holes in the corners of the plastic using a hot skewer and attached it. I had thought to alter the shape to a rectangle, but Christine suggested the diagonal.

I lined it and created a pocket.

For the moment I have found a packed of various size crewel needles to fit inside. I might, at a future date. add a couple of tapestries as well. The packet folds nicely to fit inside, with no sharp points exposed.





I then moved on to finish the pouch, which is lined in silk. I found a tiny blue button for closure.

This gives me a neat little set of scissors, pins, needles and name tag to take to the Guild - 







as long as I keep it in a safe place!

2 comments:

Lyn Warner said...

Rococco is such a pretty stitch.

Jillian said...

Sure is, Lyn!