Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2022

A use for some chicken prints.

Earlier this week two prints I ordered from Tatiana Popova arrived. These were art works by Marina Popova, printed on to fabric for embroidery. Tatiana and Marina are Ukrainians who have sought refuge in Australia and hit the ground running with art and craft.

I wasn't sure what I would do with the prints - but I do like a good chicken. Maybe a pouch.

When they arrived, I decided against embroidering them. They are lovely, and printed on to cotton using the panels you use to print on to t-shirts. I have used these on t-shirts. They work well, but the resulting surface is not one I fancy embroidering on. 

It occurred to me that these panels would work well as patches on some of my t-shirts that have those pesky holes from zips. I have a several of them, so dug out a couple that fitted with the chicken colours.

The chickens were just the right size for the job, so I tested the size, cut them, backed them with iron-on fabric adhesive and ironed them on.













Oddly, this worked well on the red top, but the adhesive didn't take on the cream. Maybe it was something I did in the process, or the composition of the fabric. In any case, I stitched around both of them. 

Hopefully both will hold for a couple of seasons of wear. The red, which has adhesive as well as stitches, might last longer.

I have put the patched tops away until the weather warms up a bit, but I'm pleased to have two more tops that I feel good about wearing outside the apartment - and I've found a way to display these very attractive chickens.
 











Makes me satisfied and happy.

3 comments:

Lyn Warner said...

I like the chickens and agree that they don't have to be embroidered. The red one looks quite at home on your red top.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lyn. It will be fun to wear them!

Jillian said...

Thanks Lyn. It will be fun to wear them!