Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Arabian Bag

One of my daughters bought me this kit several years ago. I had thought of finishing it while attending the Guild's Crewel Group but that group recessed throughout Covid and is only just recovering. Now I've finished my Crewel chair, I thought I'd work some stored kits. This one was next on my list.

The linen is printed with a line of buildings, arranged in 5 groups. 









There's a card with 5 corresponding groups of thread as well as some envelopes of embellishments. 

This is what it looks like at the finish. I found it difficult, at times, to recognise the intended thread from the names given. While their Appleton's numbers were also given in the instructions, I don't have an Appleton's colour chart to recognise them. 

I didn't let this bother me too much. I used the recommended colours where I could and used my judgement when I couldn't. 

The figures are very small - 1-3 cm high and arranged in five groups. 




Most are worked in long and short, stem or satin stitch. 




The construction was interesting.  The embroidery forms a pocket around the outside of a lined drawstring bag which is embellished with beads around the peaked top. Tassels hold the pocket at key points. 
















Of greatest interest to me was the method of constructing the base - an insert constructed from two rectangles and containing a firm pellon. Very clever method.

Beads on the top peaks, tassels to hold the outside pocket firm, and a series of small wooden rings stitched to the outside to take a cord, finished off the construction. The tassels and rings are reinforced on the inside with small buttons - a thoughtful, if slowing, touch.

As well as adding a couple of skills to my repertoire, it's a satisfying and useful object to have made. 

1 comment:

Lyn Warner said...

What an interesting little embroidery and a lovely idea for a bag.