Search This Blog

Sunday, July 14, 2019

Croatian costume embroidery

The June workshop for the Embroiderers’ Guild Certificate Course was taken by Dragica Sosa on Croatian Traditional Costume Embroidery. It was really interesting and a lot of fun. 

Dragica had brought along a number of costume pieces from the collection of the Lenek Folkloric Dance Ensemble, which we were able to examine in detail. Regretfully, I didn’t take photos. They were truly beautiful and a treat to see.

Dragica also talked about her own experience of learning and practising Croatian dance and of the differences between costumes in the four geographic areas of Croatia.

Much of the traditional Croatian embroidery is pattern darning and Dragica had charted a series of traditional designs for us to try. I used a 28 count linen. 30-32 is more commonly used but even with 28 I need magnification!

I worked my way through the designs. It took me several days to work them and there are a few errors in there. It was compelling - so satisfying seeing the patterns emerge. I found it easier to hold the linen in my hand and maintain tension by grip than keep moving a hoop. I find pattern darning is also better scooped than stabbed.







By the end the piece was quite raggy so blocking was required .





I decided to turn it into a pouch. I had thought to line it with silk but the red I had was too dark. I played around with two pieces of cotton. I went with the plain red, purchased a red zip and had it done in no time. I went with the red fabric on the back as well. Plain white 28 count linen didn’t feel right. I would always think I should have embroidered the back as well!





I am delighted with my finished piece. I could see myself using these patterns on the yoke of a dress. 




For now, however, I am very pleased with my bag and the learning that went into it.

Thanks Dragica and to Christine and Barbara who run the Certificate Course.






2 comments:

Lyn Warner said...

The patterns are very pretty! I agree that a plain linen back to the bag would always be crying out for some embroidery, so the red was a good choice.
It's interesting that you chose to do the pattern darning without a hoop. I usually use one without even thinking about it but I'm beginning to think there are times when it's better to stitch in the hand.

Jillian said...

Yes. it's a bit of a dilemma, isn't it? I find holding in my hand is often better for me. I'm conscious too, of the mantra repeated at a couple of RSN day classes I attended, "Never scoop in a hoop"! I use it to give myself permission to hold in my hand when doing things like pattern darning, since it is so much quicker (and I think sensible!) to scoop than stab. I'm sure there are many who would disapprove!