Search This Blog

Monday, October 15, 2018

New Mexico Colcha Workshop

In August I conducted a workshop on New Mexico Colcha Embroidery for the Embroiderers' Guild Certificate Course. It much followed the format I had used for the session with the Ethnic Embroidery Study Group last year.

Because I don't actually have any examples from New Mexico, I used a lot of photos, a couple of pieces I had embroidered myself, some of the examples worked by the EESG, the wool I had bought from Weaving South West (which, incidentally, I have since knitted into a spectacular cowl, which I'll blog about soon)
and the kit I had from the original Piecework article.

I also prepared new kits, using a very open-weave even-weave linen and motifs from Weaving and Colcha in the Spanish South West


There was great enthusiasm for the embroidery. Everyone got down to the task with energy. I had to be asked to demonstrate the stitch. So long have I thought and talked about this now that I forgot that it might not be familiar to everyone!

I have not found anyone yet who does not enjoy doing this. The flexibility, coverage and result all lead to great satisfaction

and the shapes of the traditional motifs prove  appealing.



Several people have continued working on the pieces and created items of their own volition - in other words, incorporated it into their repertoire of embroidery. Two substantial pieces were displayed in the Guild's recent Members' Exhibition.


This truly beautiful bag was the result of Mary Moore's participation in the workshop
















and this coat, by Barbara Mullan, with Colcha embroidery on the pockets and back, is  spectacular.

Participants were entranced and engaged with this embroidery. It is a tribute to the women who have worked so hard to preserve this tradition, especially Esther Vigil, who has been so helpful and supportive of my interest in it.

The Certificate Course Challenge this Christmas is a piece made with couching. I'm guessing many will be made in the tradition of New Mexico Colcha embroidery.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings,
The New Mexico Colcha stitch is not the indigenous stitch of New Mexico. It is a universal stitch. It is a self couching stitch. In spite of the prevailing tendency to shroud both the stitch and its origin in mystery. It is known by many names across the world; Kiev stitch in French, Basma stich in the Jewish community, Laid stitch in New England Bokhara stitch, Romanian stitch, Figure stitch in Catalan, Deer field stitch, Oriental stitch, and Convent stitch. What distinguish colcha embroidery of New Mexico is the consistent use of this self couching stitch through out the work.
Obviously, the New Mexico stitch is not the indigenous stitch of New Mexico,, it is gratifying to know that this delightful, simple, versatile and elegant stitch evolved in New Mexico.
Monique Durham

Jillian said...

Thank you for your comment Monique. Our workshops (including the one in December 2017, made no claims for a unique stitch. Our Guild explores embroidery from many angles, including teaching particular stitches, the adaptation and variation of stitches, design, cloth, threads, decoration and specific cultural examples. There is a lot to learn! Thanks for contributing. Jillian