Search This Blog

Friday, February 27, 2015

More on Maharani's Fish Pond

I have made progress on the border section of my Maharani's Fish Pond opus.

I folded the edges in and created 4 rows of running stitch to seal them. I then worked the wavy borders, and set about sketching in some motifs that could represent the garden border of the fishpond. I checked out photographs of kantha work to create the kind of motifs that might be used.

Having worked the wave around the outside border. I drew four trailing vines in pencil on the outer space and added a few motifs.

The inner border is blue on green; the outer is green on blue. In this outer section I am working on the notion of the garden at the edge of the pond.

 Stitching this is a great joy - no charts, no counting - just looking at some examples of Kantha work, my previous Kantha sampler and improvising.

It is giving me hours and hours of pleasure.

The next step is filling in the background of this outer layer.

1 comment:

Monica said...

What a wonderful piece this will be! I love the wavy border, it is just the right balance to all the organic, free form stitching. Your vines and flowers are looking great too, it will be interesting to see how they look once the background is filled. I have a feeling it's going to look really clever!