Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Smocked silk dress


While I am on a roll with the much-handled McCall's pattern and my Indonesian ikat, I took the plunge with the second piece of fabric from Singaraja.






This piece is silk and woven as a sarong, rather than a continuous length.  I tried to cut it to maximise the use of the pattern. I did lose a little from the top edge but managed to centre the large birds both front and back.





I stitched in the sleeves using a narrow French seam and again pleated it like a bishop. It pleated like a dream.


I went for 9 half-space rows, including 2 holding rows.




I chose a very simple trellis in graded colours matching the fabric, using two strands of DMC.
I was hoping to get a bit of a bargello effect so shaded the colours pink, through purple and blue then back again.
I couldn't get a long enough bias strip for the neck out of the fabric, so I used a purple bias binding, then feather-stitched around it to give a bit of texture.




I'm pleased with the finished effect.











I debated turning a hem or leaving the selvage. The piece was designed to wear as a sarong, with the border at showing at the bottom, so I have left it for the moment. If it seems too long I will take up a hem.

I like the simplicity of this - a little bit of smocking, a little bit of sewing and the fabric speaks for itself.

4 comments:

Karyn said...

What a wonderful use of your fabric. Your dress has turned out really well, and would be perfect here this week with our warm days we have been having.

Monica said...

It is beautiful, Jillian! You did a great job matching the smocking to the fabric. I like the hem the way it is, I hope it will not be too long for you!

Katherine said...

Gorgeous and it looks so cool to wear on a hot day too.

Anonymous said...

Love it.