Last weekend the Embroiderers'Guild of South Australia had their Christmas Sale of Work. There was an amazing array of beautiful embroidered things for sale. In a coals-to-Newcastle activity, I bought some bags!
One was a round one - a bargain at $5 - in a very peaceful washed-out blue floral. It is lined in a lovely plain blue cotton. I have been using it all week to hold my current embroidery project and it is terrific.
So this weekend I raided my stash for pieces of a suitable size. I now have 6 new round bags. One is batik, lined with a caramel coloured cotton, one is a rayon stripe, remnant of a pair of long shorts I made years ago, line in the silk I used for my smocked dress.
This one is from a piece of Japanese cotton in gold and pinks. It is also lined with the Vietnamese silk.
This one is a voile, left over from a dress I once had - must be the sixties, lined in an aqua cotton.
The only difficulty with the pattern is in getting the gathers more or less even around the circular bottom. It is a little tricky manoeuvring the machine around the base, but not too bad in this size.
This one is a pink I used for curtains about 30 years ago, lined in pink gingham bought at a school fete.
I went to Hetty's Patch yesterday and got some help to buy the caramel cotton lining and some cord for about four of them. I had a nice time making my choices and discussing projects.
There were inevitably some bits left over which I ran up into small bags.
It is appliqued as one long piece on to the batik backing fabric, which then forms the inside as well as edging and base.
All in all, a good weekend's work - from a five dollar investment in a bag I will use over and over in its own right!