Although it has been good to work on some relatively undemanding projects over the Christmas period, I looked forward to progressing the Italian Blackwork Project I began with Carol Mullan before Christmas. So once the rooster cushion was finished I turned my hand back to blackwork.
Of the six patterns in the sampler, I had started five and finished two.
The fifth one was going so well I began by finishing it, then went back to finish the third. Both of these were very satisfying to stitch.
I have worked all of these without a hoop. My thread is very dark navy but appears black.
It was a real pleasure to move on to the sixth, and last motif, having the pleasure of figuring and laying out the foundation line. I really like this part of the process - figuring the pathway that will enable me to come back to fill in the double-running line with minimal break in continuity. It also 'reveals' the pattern to the fabric - rather like adding lemon juice to an invisible ink message.
I've been giving thought to what I might do with this piece. I don't much go for framed pieces. I am considering adding a border, then using it on a linen bag.