Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Banksia Cushion 1

 

This is a 60cm square cushion I have just finished for a granddaughter who is setting up a shared home with a friend.

The embroidered motif is one of Dijanne Cevaal's prints, purchased some time ago. 






When I bought it, I envisaged introducing a lot of texture, and purchased a variety of beads, some quite large, to use. When I came to create it, I decided such hard textures would be uncomfortable in a cushion, and restricted myself to threads. 

The fabric is Banksia Mini, from Missy Rose - a limited print. I had only ordered a half-metre, so needed to cut it to form a border, rather than appliquéing on to the print.












I used a range of threads from my stash, many of them special orders or runs given to me as gifts. The stem is a very narrow braid from the Painters Threads Collection.

To integrate the embroidery into the background, I quilted it down with running stitches in a similar green to the stems on the background fabric.

I am very pleased with the result - achieved in my usual way of working it out as I go along!

I have one more of Dijanne Cevaal's Banksia prints. I've now begun one more cushion for myself! I can't claim I need another cushion, but I do have room for it - justification enough!

No comments: