Search This Blog

Sunday, February 5, 2023

90th Birthday Bag


Today I finished a project I conceived a couple of weeks ago - a gift for a friend who is turning 90 tomorrow, and having a celebration lunch this coming Friday. She is comfortably off, with most things she needs, but has no family at all. She puts a lot of effort into making and keeping friends. I wanted to give her something special.

Serendipitously, Ink and Spindle sent out a notice of a sale of their discontinued or remnant stock and Shells i
n Brown Ochre caught my eye. I did some measurements and calculations and ordered enough for a tote bag. 


When it arrived, I cut out the pieces for the bag - two to make the front and back of the bag, each with 40 shells, and 40 nice blank spaces, two for the sides and a base. I then began embroidering stars (or, if you prefer, as I do, starfish
).







I used the lovely Knox linen thread I bought a while ago from Studio Flax.                         

I tried out a couple of star stitches, but settled in the end for the one simply woven around six spokes. 
I laid the spokes out from the centre, then took my needle around from the centre, under each spoke, then over and on to the next one. It probably took me about 15 hours to work 90 stars.





On the bottom panel I worked my initials, my friend's initials and the year.
On Friday I raided my fabric stash for suitable lining and settled on a brown cotton with sprays of small flowers.  Today I spent several hours at the machine (and, yes, the iron!). I had to repair two stars that threatened to disappear into a seam, but anyone can count 90 stars on the bag. 










I am very satisfied with the result. I think L will like and use it. She doesn't read my blog - so I can post it in advance of the Birthday Celebration without spoiling the surprise! 

All ready to go.

No comments: