Search This Blog

Monday, April 25, 2016

Gilaf borders

I forgot to mention in my last post that a gilaf is a book bag - designed to hold a copy of the Koran - so an important, protective item. 
The centre of my Kantha gilaf needed blocking to return it to something like the square it was meant to be. The doctor's flannel was fairly pliable and I was able to measure and tack a reasonably straight border.

I used fine pencil dots and tacked both the inner and outer border.

The inner border is filled with whipped running stitch. I used an ecru coloured silk for both the rows of running stitch and the whipping.

The outer border is a series of 'trees and huts', worked in the two colour ways. I decided to use some more of the Gloriana variegation I had introduced into one section of the centre to help me transition from one colour way to another. It drew the eye in the centre piece and I thought, rather than undoing it,  using it in the trees might be more harmonious. I think it worked.
One side of the border ended up (unintentionally) with four trees while the others have five. The pattern, however, blends quite well so I'm sticking with it. I love the way the trees extend the central pattern. It reminds me of Australian Aboriginal dot paintings.

All in all I'm very pleased with this piece. It is deeply satisfying, calming work. I'm looking forward to filling the corners and finishing the construction.

3 comments:

margaret said...

this is coming along a treat what a lovely idea to have a special bag for a special book

Monica said...

I love that one side has four trees! And you really have to look a while to even notice it. The whole thing is so organic and beautiful, no wonder you are loving it! Great project. :D

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I am fascinated by your Kantha embroidery. It will be very special and beautiful. I too am interested in the dimensional embroidery. You do lovely work!