I didn't work this one in a hoop - it was easier on my hands to keep it in the light without the hoop. Here is the first outline of the paintbox. I love getting the outline in place and a sense of the overall design.
The hardest bit was stitching the design on the first panel - the lid of the paintbox. Single thread cross-stitch on 32 count linen is not what I can do with my mind wandering!
I went with the lettering suggested for the lid - a decision I regret, but I am not unpicking. Both the "A" and the "N" are very hard to read in this lettering, but I figure the context makes it clear.
When it came to the next panel, I embroidered very plain initials, working it out as I went along. Unfortunately, I concentrated so hard on achieving the lettering I forgot to leave the space on the right-hand side to insert the needle-threader - the whole point of the paintbox! I inserted it on the left side, which, as it is only a storage device, should be fine.
The third panel was very straightforward as most of the cross-stitch was over two threads rather than one.
Next post is construction.