Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Ripe Picking (or thoughts) tea box.

One of my granddaughters chose Ripe for Picking, Anna Scott's design of a galah on the branch of a vine for her tea box lid. I was aware, when I offered it, that it involved stumpwork. I was also aware that it was a small design and would require enlargement to do justice to a box lid.
I managed the enlargement by photographing the template, then printing it on to an A4 sheet. In the kit, the design appeared to be drawn on to a generous piece of pale green slk in archival ink. I turned the silk over and copied the enlarged design on the reverse side, mounting it, with it's calico backing, into a 10" hoop.
So far so good.

The branch embroidery was slow and meticulous. I could see the effect intended, which made it easier.

The felt padding was fun to add before the tricky bit began, the needle-lace body of the galah.

This is where I felt the impact of having doubled the size of the design! It took me quite a while to fill the whole body, and it was a relief to be able to move on to the crest.

My favourite bit, however, was the leaves.  I really enjoyed stitching them.

I had difficulty deciding which of the two shades of green was which from the illustration but settled for using the more vibrant shade in what I decided were the bits getting more sun (the top of the leaves above the vine and the bottom of the leaves below the vine). For the sides closer to the vine I used the more muted green.

Because I didn't want to hold a very small hoop in my hand to create the stumpwork wing, tail and head, I attached the linen fabric to a piece of sheeting so it would fit in an 8" hoop and worked from there.
That worked out well.
Placement and attachment of the wing and tail was relatively straightforward. 

The head took a little more adjustment.

By this point I was having doubts about the appropriateness of stumpwork grapes - 10 thread-covered beads - on the lid of a tea box. It seemed to me that these would likely be a nuisance on a box lid, likely to get caught and damaged in use. The recipient agreed, so I omitted them. The design (if not its name!) is fine without them.

I had a moment of fright when I blocked it. Rather than wash it, I attached it tightly to the board and sprayed it with water. Immediately the archival ink on the other side of the silk showed through! I went to bed planning how I would create more leaves and vine to cover it. Miraculously, in the morning, when I plucked up courage to look, the ink had disappeared!

By now I have improved my mounting skills! The new wadding I have bought is thick enough to require only one layer and I secured it with multiple pins before slowly tightening and securing the lashing. I have also given in entirely on the use of double-sided tape. It shouldn't be used with archival material, but without it an embroidery will not stay on the lid.




Again, I am very pleased with this result, which is now with its owner. The colours are  complementary. It is, I think, elegant, and thoughtful,

I hope it brings pleasure.

No comments: