Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Mending slippers


Last year a much-travelled friend gave me a pair of knitted slippers she had bought in Uzbekistan. I had admired hers and she kindly sent me a spare pair she had. They were truly charming and very comfortable for wearing on my carpeted floors.
They even won me a prize in a photo competition promoting Bundarra clothing!
However, my fondness for them produced holes in both heels and they looked like unravelling. Drastic action was required - and some of the skills of my grandmother and mother. 
 It was easy enough to pick up the unravelling stitches.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                   I had a good supply of oddments of 4 ply wool in the right colour from Fair Isle jumpers made many years ago, so I could construct my set of bars across the hole and weave my patch.
The result was pretty neat (and on the underside anyway).

For good measure. and longevity, I added a couple of little felt patches over the mend, both on the inside and outside.
















I'm very pleased with the result.
I'm happy to be able to continue using my lovely slippers, pleased to have preserved both a gift and a treasure. I'm also pleased to have used the skills given to me by my mother and grandmother.

Lots of wins for many women.

3 comments:

Monica said...

These slippers are wonderful! Well worth the effort to fix. And you did a great job, I cannot see the new parts at all (except the patches, of course). Again, very cozy for winter!

Jillian said...

Thanks Monica. They're great, aren't they? So much better than I could knit myself, so happy to keep mending!

margaret said...

so good that you repaired these before they got any worse, great for the cold weather