Search This Blog

Friday, September 25, 2015

Back to Basics Project 3

I missed the May and June Back to Basics Group at the Embroiders' Guild. It was great to get back in late July. The Group is a lot of fun and I had missed the camaraderie.

I have progressed to Project Three, which is a hussif and scissor case. Like most students I began with the scissor case. In the July meeting I cut out my templates and began the embroidery design. The challenge this time is to use a specific range of loop stitches - buttonhole, feather and/or fly stitch. 

In the August meeting, helped along by fellow student, Mary Moore, who had progressed hers while I was away, I cut out my backing, linings and began the construction. I finished this off at home, ladder-stitching the pieces together and then making the inevitable twisted cord.
Each of these pieces had a plain and a patterned component. In this one, the back of the scissor case is meant to be patterned I didn't much like that, so used the pattern on the reverse side. 
My scissor case is now finished. It will be submitted for assessment along  with the hussif, which I start at next Monday's Back to Basics. It's a lot of fun and a great group.

4 comments:

Monica said...

I think this is a new post, but the date is old. I hope I have not missed others! Anyway, I really like the eggplant background you used with the lime green threads. They really pop! Last month I bought a bunch of medium dark grey to use with lime fabrics, but I am thinking now that eggplant would be way better. Hmmm...

...way better... Anyway, it's a fun little piece. I hope you will find a use for it!

Jillian said...

You're right, it is new. I have updated the date! I'm in Canberra at the moment visiting my daughter and prepared the basics of this before I left. It then posts with the date I started the entry, not the date I finished it - annoying. While I was travelling I got into the habit of fixing this, but forget this time. Thanks for noticing!

I had the fabric first and those threads seemed to work - a bit to my surprise!

margaret said...

very nice scissor keeper, such fun to be working this project with others

Jillian said...

You're right - it's great with others!