We were told to bring perle 8 and 12 thread in matching colours and some cotton tape.
We learned quite a lot about Italian style tassels and learned to make three kinds.
The second tassel head was made by wrapping a roll of cotton tape in thread. The roll is first wrapped in thread to form 'ribs', which are used as support for a thread cover woven around the tape bundle.
I made fair progress with the second tassel, but realised half-way that I had not used the correct wrapping technique so my 'ribs' we're not raised on the outside. I swapped technique when I realised. I also had trouble getting sufficient thread coverage. I think I had the 'ribs' too tight, which results in catching some of the tape in the needle. I then went back over the work, adding more thread and also creating some additional pattern.
The third tassel I am putting aside for the moment. I may see if I can get some matching perle 5 and finish it using a larger needle. My eyes and patience are not up to working the whole tassel at the current rate of progress.